Saturday, December 17, 2011

Lemon Buddies

For some reason in the middle of winter I am craving summer time foods. Things that are light, crisp, refreshing. I have had a hankering for cucumbers like nobody's business but, as we all know cucumbers that you buy in the winter time are usually less than desirable. 

So, for today's sweet treat I decided to make a recipe that I had found on Pinterest. If you don't know what Pinterest is you should really check it out! While the original recipe found here ---> Gluten Free Lemon & White Chocolate Puppy Chow is a Gluten Free version - my family is not on a Gluten free diet so I changed up the recipe to fit our needs. 




I think these would be perfect to take to a picnic or BBQ as they aren't sickeningly sweet, don't need refrigeration and are a great finger food...
my hubby loves anything Lemon and they were a huge hit with him!



  • 1 1/2 Cups White Chocolate Chips
  • - I used Aldi brand "White Baking Chips" 
  • 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter
  • 3-4 Tablespoons Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
  • Zest from 1 Lemon
  • 8 Cups Rice Chex or Rice Square cereal
    - I used Aldi brand Rice Squares cereal and didn't quite use a whole box. 
  • 2 Cups powdered sugar
Place cereal large mixing bowl and have it ready before you move on to the next step. 
Microwave on high Chocolate Chips, Butter, Lemon Juice, and Lemon Zest for 1 minute stirring every 15 seconds in a microwave safe bowl (I used my infamous blue glass bowl) until completely melted and combined well.

Pour chocolate mixture over cereal and stir like crazy coating the cereal completely.
Place cereal mixture into air-tight plastic container or a gallon ziploc bag, add the powdered sugar and shake gently until cereal is coated in powdered sugar. 
Place in the fridge for 20 minutes to allow chocolate to firm up and they are ready to eat! 
Store them in an air-tight container or plastic bag to keep fresh. 





No comments:

Post a Comment