Pages

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Steam Fry

Steam Fry is a traditional Native American dish. .
A friend had posted on Facebook asking if any of his Southern Native friends knew the recipe.
Being a Southern Plains Native - I had never heard of Steam Fry so, I went on a little mission to find it.
I asked my Dad as well as several of my fellow Southern Natives and they came out of the woodwork telling me how to make it. Why have I not had or heard of this glorious dish before?

As with most Native recipes - the "recipe" for Steam Fry is just a little bit of this - a little bit of that and technique varies. There are also variations on what to serve it with - Fry Bread, ontop of sliced bread, with a side of fried taters.  Of course typically it is made on an open fire in a large cast iron pot but some told me they made it the oven or low and slow in a slow cooker or roaster oven.

I chose to make it in a slow cooker. Low and slow. Let me repeat that - low and slow.
Did I mention.. low and slow?. Don't rush perfection. Trust me.

So, I took a big package of beef stew meat and placed it in the slow cooker, seasoned it with garlic powder, salt, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and a few shakes of some steak seasoning. I added 3 cubes of beef bouillon (I highly recommend Knorr brand Beef Bouillon which you will find in your ethnic/Hispanic food section - it is a much higher quality and less salty version of your typical bouillon cubes)
I added water until it just covered the meat.

Again let me repeat - low and slow. Put the lid on - and walk away. Take a nap, do some laundry - twiddle your thumbs but just leave it alone.
I cooked mine on low for 9 hours and it was very tender.
Low and slow. This is key.

After the 9 hours I used a slotted spoon and fished out all the chunks of meat and set those aside in a bowl.
Now, I was told to make a gravy with this broth with flour but, I'm not a fan of flour based gravy's - corn starch is my favorite thickener. So I made a cornstarch slurry and added it to the crockpot and whisked it in. Its hard to say exactly how much to use, just make a small batch up and if its too thin - make some more. Now add your meat back in and serve it up! 

I served it with mashed potatoes, hot rolls and green beans slow cooked with bacon.
Happy Happy miserable bellies.

mic drop.
walk away. 







1 comment:

  1. I spent a lot of time at Stroud,Ok with the sac n fox...we made steam fry by cutting a pork butt or other marbled cut...cut into 1/2" to 3/4" chunks...keeping it a little on the lean side...Put in a pot on a low fire ,stir in flour and lots of black pepper....salt sparingly at first as this reduces considerably...add water and keep stirring and simmering until tender.......I've been to many feasts and all we put in was pork, salt, pepper, flour, and water.

    ReplyDelete